Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Reflecting on Summer

So in about 60 hours or so I will be packing up all my belongings and embarking and the half-day journey back to Coe College. When the year ended, I reflected upon it and when the school year ended, I also reflected upon it (though I don't know if I did online). It's only fitting that I reflect upon my summer as well. This summer definitely fits my whole "life goes in waves" theme. When I first came home, the first few days were a whirlwind of social activities and reconnecting with friends before life settled down. Then I started to get into a bit of a rut until work started. For the whole summer, the pace seemed to go up and down. I feel to some extend I wasted this summer. Although I did make a solid amount of money, it was very alarming today when I paid my parents my portion of the semester and for this years fraternity dues to realize that I only netted about 125 dollars total this summer. Thankfully I have some work at school which will easily get me through the year. In some ways, I didn't reconnect the way I wanted to. There were some people I was around a lot in high school and I was hoping that I would not only reconnect but deepen our relationships. For the most part, this did not happen. The people I was casually friends with were definitely invisible. However, there were a few people this summer I got to spend a good amount of time with that I'm more thankful for than I think they know. It was very reassuring to me that I could come home and not only reconnect quickly but get to know people on a deeper level of trust than I did previously. Hopefully I will be able to stay in touch frequently with them while away at school. One of my biggest fears all year of college was actually leaving college fearing that I had little to go back to. This summer helps sooth my mind realizing that when the day comes in the distant future and I leave college, I can still stay close with the people that really matter to me. Goodbye summer 2009......hello Coe

No comments: