Tuesday, September 4, 2012

My visit to New York

So this past weekend (labor day) I flew out to New York City on Friday night to visit my sister until Monday morning. Minus the rain delay at the US Open and lengthy flight delay in Baltimore it was a great trip. I managed to see lot's of cool places and even make it to all 5 boroughs in 2 days! Here is a sampling of the 200+ photos I took.
This is 42nd Street in Manhattan which is right by Times Square.

Eating some famous New York pizza.





Some photos of Times Square.



Yankees game vs the Orioles. Great seats but very hot. Spent a lot of the game standing and watching from the standing room only area and eventually we moved a row back into the shade. Yankees started slowly but ended up winning 4-3. For the record I am not a Yankees fan but I couldn't pass up a chance to go to this stadium.








The Brooklyn Bridge.


Tom's restaurant, famous for being in my favorite 90's sitcom Seinfeld. The inside was different but great pictures from the show and good, affordable food (a rarity in New York).



Columbia University. I never pass up a chance to visit other notable college campuses.




Central Park.


Columbus Square with the infamous Trump Tower.

The mall there had a touch screen.









Ferry to Staten Island. I took the ferry and essentially turned around and came back but it had a nice view of the Statue of Liberty and downtown Manhattan.





World Trade Center site. Apparently you need to reserve tickets ahead of time but I got to go into a small museum nearby which was nice. Easily the quietest place in New York, the only place where drivers cut off by mobs of pedestrians didn't honk and swear. I hope to go back and see the memorial inside and the museum they are building.

Here the main attraction for me, Arthur Ashe Stadium at the US Open!


We're inside!




Photo sent to my coaches and teammates to taunt them.

Sharapova vs Nadia Petrova. Great hitting from both players in Sharapova's rain-interrupted 3 set win.


View's from the stadium itself (we were in the very top row).






Drying the court after the rain delay.


Phillip Kohlscreiber


John Isner. We left after set 2 (tied at 1-1) because it was nearing 1 am. After the hour long commute to my sister's apartment they were just about to start the 5th which Isner apparently blew up at the chair umpire and ultimately lost. The match tied a record finishing at 2:26 am. I was not too upset we left early.







Grand Central Station. We decided not to transfer here but to get out and take a cab. Surprisingly my sister had never seen it because she never came upstairs and only transferred here. It wasn't quite as spectacular at 1 am (and with no cartoon Madagascar animals) but it was still a great site.


Overall an awesome trip! Now attempting to refocus and do some school work. In short, it is not going well but I will find my focus soon and get to it!

No comments: