Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year continued

Although high school was over, Patriots continued into the summer. I enjoyed the company of friends at Patriots but Patriot this year turned out to be one of the most frustrating experiences of my entire life. No, it definitely was the most frustrating. After being a surprise choice of section leader, I was given a section with half rookies who turned out to be nearly hopeless at learning marching band things. What was so frustrating to me wasn't that my section wasn't the best, as usually is a frustration for me, not being the best or at least damn close, it was that no matter how hard I tried I felt like I had zero impact on how anything went. Directors and student leaders were extremely frustrated with me but even they had no ideas of how to handle the situation. Eventually however, the situation inevitably had to get better and we did improve earning the bands "most improved section" for obvious reasons. In addition I received brass MVP which was like a nice "thank you" from everyone which I was very grateful for. The patriots trip was a good get away but it didn't do especially well with connecting with people in my grade. Again, the problems with kids in my grade. Never the less, when Patriots ended, all my direct connections to the high school were severed and I prepared to enter college. The beginning of college will be written about in the next post.

No comments: