Thursday, January 1, 2009

The New Year

So as 2008 comes to a close and most people are going crazy, I have begun to reflect some on the past year. Since entering grade school, 2008 has always been a year that teachers have always put on our radar since it is the date of my class' high school graduation: thus the class of '08. True to predictions, I believe 2008 was easily the biggest year of my life. Many of the things that were a constant in my life sadly came to a close. But with one door closing I flew through more open doors. 2008 began with the senior slide in high school and trying to decide where I would continue my education. Luther, my original front runner was beginning to wane for a number of reasons such as length of time from application to being accepted, lack of affordable scholarship money, and questionable ethics in some aspects. Choices I had long since neglected such as Coe and St. Mary's were rising. In the sports world, I had revisted my love of running in the previous year but now had my eyes glued on a tennis state championship. I played and worked out nearly everyday along with spending many weekends in places such as Grand Forks, Souix Falls, and Rochester playing rigorous tournaments in order to better my playing ability. In the end I didn't even make the state tournament after electing to try doubles with Will G and losing to a tough Blake team. I have since avenged our doubles lose by beating one of the kids badly in a tournament this December. Jazz band was always fun, but in 2008, it became absolutely amazing. We won the Eau Claire jazz festival and had our own concert which turned out to be one amazing night. The funny thing was that high school tennis and high school band came to a close both on the same day, May 22nd, which was the day of our section tennis tournament and our senior concert which I won the Louis Armstrong award for jazz band, my biggest accomplishment in high school. Then suddenly, it was all over. I was walking across stage on scholarship day and again at graduation, and high school came to a close. The last day of classes had a cook out, a couple of bands, and a dance and I had more fun at that 5 dollar dance then I had at all the other dances combined. I need to do another post because this one is too long.

No comments: