Sunday, June 27, 2010

Madrid and Salamanca

Friday morning, I woke up extremely tired because my room mates had a late night and kept me awake. The entire foundation had a day trip to Madrid and I planned to stay the night with Travis and take a train to Salamanca the next day to tour. I was very tired all the way to Madrid but when we went in the royal palace, I woke up. It was very big on top of a hill in the center of Madrid although not as impressive as I imagined. Overall, it was fun though. Then all 100 of us when to a Jamon restaurante and then we decided to walk around. We checked into our hostel and then walked to Indepence Park to take pictures. It was a long distance away and we took lots of pictures. Then we went in the Prado, a famous art museum in Madrid. We saw lots of Greco, Goya, and Valasquez paintings that I saw in high school Spanish. We then proceeded to walk for an hour to the Real Madrid stadium to see Spain play Chile. The place was packed and everyone there was belligerant. I´ve never seen anything like it in my life! Needless to say it was quite the experience. We finally got to get close to the screen around half time when the police let us in to the center. Spain got up 2 0 at half and I think finished 3 1. It poured as we left and we got stuck in the rain. We decided to eat at burgers at an American restaurante with 2 girls to wait it out. We slept in our hostal, then went to Salamanca. Salamanca was a lot like Toledo, just not as popular. The plaza mayor was amazing we tons of shops and people. There were many large churches and the University was very cool as well. We watched the U.S. loss to Ghana in overtime with a group of U.S. students behind us talking loudly about their personal lives.......it was probably the least favorite part of the trip. Then we slept in one large bed in a small room at the hostal and came back in the morning. I spent most of the day just laying around and watching soccer. Germany won 4 1, amid controvery, and Argentina destroyed Mexico 3 1. Next week, Granada.

No comments: