Thursday, June 28, 2012

Adjusting to grad school

So I've been in the lab for 4 days and already "worked" over 40 hours, however a lot of the time has been spent reading (biology stuff not just for pleasure) or simply just observing. Antonio, the guy I'm working under, keeps talking about my project but the communication lines between us have been lacking and I don't really understand what my project is or what is going on overall for the lab. To confound me more he gave me a talk at the end of the day on how he needs me to figure out how to work this one machine, because he doesn't know and it would be great for me to learn (it is an RT PCR machine for any scientists reading) but since he doesn't really know how to use it and I have never used it before, I really don't know how to go about doing this. I knew the first few days would be slow going but I was hoping it would pick up from there. I came home kind of frustrated and very tired but since I have thought up of a plan. Since the lab is big and the floor is huge, I will try to get a memo sent out to everyone that I am looking to learn how to work this machine and if anyone is using it during the next week I would ask that they allow me to follow them around. I can read manuals and theories behind this machine (it is very complex) for days and once we start I probably still won't know how to use it.
On a lighter note, today was the second of the Europeans Championship semifinals between Italy and Germany (Spain won in penalties in the first semi). One of the workers in the lab is Italian and he asked me if I wanted to go watch the second half with him. I went up to the 8th floor and I realized where I had heard the "GOAL!!" shoots from in the past hour. The photo I have posted is about 1/3 of the packed room full with about 95% Italians (and a few Germans) to watch the Azzuri hold on for a 2-1 win to advance to the final vs Spain. The final is this Sunday so hopefully I'll be able to grab a friend and go to a cool bar to watch the game.

1 comment:

jlzeman said...

I know emails about equipment probably aren't very helpful, but I know Dr. Storer used an RT PCR machine with one of the other students last summer, maybe he'd have some pointers? I don't know...grad school sounds exciting so far though!