Monday, June 25, 2012

First day of grad school

Well, ten hours later I am officially done with my first day. Despite the parking ticket (more on that later), I had a pretty good day. I showed up around 9 but my post-Doc I am paired with had lots to do and had to train the undergrad so I was instructed to read papers. Turns out I had already read them(being a proactive graduate student) so I skimmed them over again and grabbed a text book off the shelf to read for awhile. Since Antonio is Spanish, he doesn't tend to eat till later so I didn't grab lunch until about 2. Antonio is a very nice guy and I like work with him. He's very high energy and sometimes a bit scatterbrained and his english isn't the greatest but he seemed to enjoy having me there, especially when he found out I was a lot more useful then he expected. After our ten minute lunch break, he started showing me what he was working on. A lot of the stuff I have done in a simpler sense so after showing me where everything in the lab was he started assigning me to random tasks. First it was grabbing ice, then it was grabbing things from machines, but by the end he sent me off to do a whole procedure on my own while he tackled something else. At 7 however hunger had started to take its toll so I told him I was done for the day and would be back at 9. He had no problem with this and had told me around 5 I was free to go whenever but since I'm here for the summer, I'm here to learn. I already went to the grocery store to get more lunch foods. That was my big mistake. A turkey sandwich  and a banana will not last more than 4 hours.
After I was done I walked out to my car which was parked in the stadium lot. After driving for a few minutes I noticed I had a ticket on my car. This obviously irritated me but I soon learned that there is a distinction between C parking and west campus C parking (which I have). Although I was on the west side of campus, this lot did not count. The $30 ticket obviously is annoying but other than that I'm not too upset. Once school is back in session there is no way I ever get a spot in that lot anyway. Unfortunately the lot by the Newman Center (which I checked out Sunday but was again unsuccessful in meeting anyone) is C parking as well so I will have to find another way over there. Overall, I am a bit tired (I slept terrible) but I think that this experience will be good for me this summer.

No comments: