Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Moving away

   In two days, I will be packing up my car and moving east to Columbus Ohio. This is both an exciting and terrifying prospect. It's a little bit scary for many reasons. In addition to moving away from everything I know, I will be moving into my first apartment and immediately be starting graduate school in a completely new city. It's also very sad to leave. I have made many good friends and although I will keep in touch with my best friends, many of my more casual friends I doubt I will ever see again. Graduate school is a massive commitment and with the major distance involved I don't think I will make it back to Minnesota or Coe very many times.
   The goodbyes are the worst part about leaving. I have now said goodbye to most of my friends but I have gotten very emotional on several occasions. Being a naturally introverted person I don't get close to people very often and so when I do, it is difficult for me to say goodbye to them. But, such is the nature of life and I must learn to deal.
    On the flip side, there are countless things to be extremely excited about. I'm moving to an all new city which means a completely new experience. I will get to explore which is one of my favorite things. A big bonus about starting graduate school in the summer is that I will not have any classes until August rolls around so after work I will have free time. Although I am living on a grad stipend and don't have endless amounts of money, the cheap apartment I found should hep me free up some more money for fun activities. I'm excited to meet new people and start a new way of life as well. Finally, I will be devoting my studies solely to things I care about and hopefully I can limit the distractions. In addition, I actually get to rekindle some old friendships in Columbus as well. Several of my friends from Spain attend graduate or professional school at Ohio State and a few others live in the area. One of my sister's best friend from high school now lives in the city and apparently she is now dating someone there as well (who knew?). Also, the family of one of my friends from Coe is moving to Columbus. Although they are not arriving in Columbus this summer as originally planned, they will probably move in the next year. Columbus is a compact city and it looks like it will be easy to get around. I will hopefully be getting some football tickets later this week and I look forward to watching a top 5 tennis team play (they play less than a mile from my apartment) and addition watching pro soccer in person for the first time at the Columbus Crew stadium. It's hard to believe a week from now I will have completed my first day of graduate school, but it is coming fast and I hope to be prepared to meet the challenges head on.

No comments: