Sunday, February 3, 2013

Big tennis day

 So today after studying all morning I drove out to the Buckeye tennis center to watch the #4 Buckeyes take on #6 Georgia. Just viewing the parking lot (I actually had to go move my car after doubles along with half of the crowd) told how big the crowd was going to be. I walked in to the building shaking because the team was playing some prematch dubstep similar to what my team would have done. I got a poor spot to view doubles but it was still great to watch. Watching the team warm up doing some volley drills was incredible. They had such fast hands and anything above their shoulders they smashed and rarely missed. They raced out to leads in two of the doubles matches and took the doubles point (doubles is 2/3 for one point in division 1) and were unlucky not to be leading on court two. They quickly won 4 singles matches to win the meet which was surprising to me. I ended up watching court 5 a lot due to the Buckeye player having similar characteristics to my game. Likewise his opponent spent the match talking to himself, arguing with the line judge, and at one point kicking over a chair. Oh the memories. The top court matches were pretty awesome to watch. The number one singles match came down to a super tiebreaker. The OSU player had a big lead in it but ultimately lost and the meet ended up 5-2 (#6 singles also lost in a super) but overall a lot of fun. Plus it didn't take very long the meet was mathematically over in 2:20 although I stayed for another twenty minutes to watch the end of the match. Now I'm having people over from my program to watch the Superbowl and were going to surprise my friend Mike who is now out of the hospital with presents. I will get a picture and post.
Doubles play

Warm up for doubles
The OSU player that looks like my friend James "Keith Stones" Hanson. He even kind of acts like him. I will get a better photo in the future. Also the number 1 player looks a lot like Daken Starkenburg and he even hits his forehand and serve very similarly. He does hit both of them significantly harder however, sorry Daken :)

No comments: