Monday, February 25, 2013

The Oscars/Academy Awards

So I caught the last half hour of the Oscars (Academy Awards?) although I am very confused what to call them now. I thought I had all the award ceremonies sorted out but apparently I do not. Anyone my point is I caught the last half hour of this award show about movies after I threw in the towel studying for my test. I was pretty pleased to see I managed to catch the only 3 awards I really was interested in which were best actor, best actress, and best picture. I was pretty pleased with each of the results. Jennifer Lawerence won Best Actress for Silver Lining's Playbook which I saw last Sunday and thought was a good movie and a good choice for the award. Daniel Day Lewis won Best Actor for Lincoln which I'm sure we all saw coming. He was very good in the movie and it was unfortunate for some other great performances this year that they happened to be on the same year. He also had a very funny acceptance speech joking about having originally been cast as Margaret Thatcher or having to convince Spielberg that the movie shouldn't be a musical. The result that pleased me the most was Argo winning Best Picture. I have seen it twice now and I think the movie is fantastic. Obviously it isn't 100% accurate as movies never are but I don't really see the need for all the blogger haters out there on the movie. The movie takes place in a rough time in our history and it has a fantastic story and lot's of drama. Honestly you know it's a great movie when you know the ending to the story but the story still keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time it's happening. It's also nice to see a movie in the day and age of blood and gore (example Django Unchained) that can have high drama but really no violent scenes. Very pleased to see Ben Afleck win this award and George Clooney was involved along with some other great people. I have tremendous respect for both Ben Afleck and George Clooney not just for their acting and producing abilities but the charitable work they do around the world is just tremendous and they set a great example for other influential people to do the same.
I have the time to write this in depth analysis because I am now done with my test and all my cell lines have managed to die :( so I am out of work for the day. I will begin remaking them tomorrow so hopefully I have not been set too far back but needless to say I was not very pleased.
I hope you all are well. And go see Argo if you haven't seen it! I also recommend Lincoln and hope to see Beasts of the Southern Wild (also has a tremendous back story with a young writer/producer and a very low budget making) and Flight with one of my favorites Denzel Washington in it.

No comments: