Sunday, July 22, 2012

My weekend

So I haven't posted for a few days because everything has been pretty uneventful as of late. Friday I got to do a lot at work because my post Doc had some stuff he needed to do and then I got to go home at 6 (which is around 2 hours earlier than usual). I didn't do anything Friday night but Saturday I went for a bike ride and saw The Dark Knight Rises. I thought it was a good movie but not nearly as much as everyone posting on facebook about it being the greatest movie ever. The last plot twist at the end I thought was pretty dumb and honestly made the earlier part of the story worse. The story was good but it wasn't that incredible. I liked the villain, Bane, until he started making speeches all the time. I thought he had more of an aura of invincibility before he started to talk. I also thought the prison metaphor could have been developed more it would have made it a bit more dramatic although I realize they probably had it that way but cut out parts due to the movie being freaking long as was. But with $5 student rate and a relatively open theater (due to it being 10:30 am saturday morning) it was worth the show. Today, Sunday, I was biking down Olentangy past the West Campus athletic area and noticed a tennis tournament going on at the Buckeye tennis courts. I biked over to watch for a bit and the director invited me inside. It was an open tournament with lots of college players so it was a pretty high level. You could definitely tell the difference between the ones on good D1 teams and bad ones because the good players hit big, heavy grinding shots and rarely missed while the lower ones slapped and hoped for the best. Anyone has watched me play for more than 5 minutes knows which style I prefer. Then I went to the RPAC and asked some guy hitting against the wall to hit with me. He had just started playing so he wasn't very good but it was great to be out hitting again (especially with the great sunny day) and I wasn't too upset to chase and hit the ball softly back to him. Other than that I'm starting to get pretty bored without a real social life so I've honestly never been more excited for school to start. August 13th is when my real orientation starts (although we have some sort of a meeting earlier) and I'm excited to meet some new people so I can actually start enjoying this city for real instead of just biking through all of it.

No comments: