Sunday, July 1, 2012

Spain makes history!

Forgive me,  I was quite wrong about the game. Spain won comfortably 4-0. The score line is a bit misleading. Spain went up 2-0 in the first half making a great goal for the first in the 14th minute and capitalized on poor defending to score in the 41st (from the Left Back nonetheless). However, in the 60th minute Italy had used all three subs and one of their players got hurt meaning they had to finish the game with 10 men. They held out for about 20 minutes but Spain got a third and the disheartened Italians quickly conceded a 4th. In the trophy presentation, you could see the pain in all the Italians eyes and it reminded me of losing in the conference finals 3 years in a row. Obviously the Iowa Conference Tennis Championship does not compare to the Euro Finals, but it still stung. My freshmen year I did not play a part but my sophomore year I lost the 5th match to give Luther the win. That was one of the toughest moments of my tennis career. My junior year, we had beaten Luther 5-4 earlier in the year but got swept in doubles and ultimately lost 5-1 (although my match was not finished). But watching Iker Casillas(the captain) lift the trophy reminded me of when I lifted the trophy immediately after winning conference and all of the emotions rushing through me. Today brought back those feelings. Today also reminded me of my experience in Spain when they won the World Cup and I happened to watch this game with one of my roommates from Spain Blaise who goes to Law School at OSU now. He was back from Virginia for the weekend before heading off to England for the remainder of the summer. Needless to say it was a good day and I'm glad I got to watch. Viva España!

No comments: